The National Farmers Information Service (NAFIS) was designed primarily as a voice-based service, intended to serve farmers’ needs in rural areas where internet access is limited.
To take part in our monthly farm visits, click here
Farmers receive summarized information using mobile phones by calling the access number “ 020-5008890” then moving around the service by pressing the appropriate keys on phone’s keypad.
The voice service has now been re-designed and expanded to accommodate a large number of enterprises. Each enterprise group can be reached directly by dialing the the numbers provided in the home page. One can get to an enterprise of interest directly by dialing the enterprise number as follows:
- 020-5008890 – Dairy Cattle
- 020-5008890 – Dairy Goats
- 020-5008890 – Bee Keeping
- 020-5008890 – Maize Production
- 020-5008890 – French Beans
- 020-5008890 – Tomatoes
- 020-5008890 – Grain Amaranth
- 020-5008890 – Indigenous Chicken
- 020-5008890 – Layers
- 020-5008890 – Broilers
- 020-5008890 – Ostrich farming
- 020-5008890 – Mangoes
Fodders and Pastures
- 020-5008890 – Napier Grass
Roots and Tubers
- 020-5008890 – Sweet Potatoes
How much do I pay for Nafis?
Except for the normal charge by your telephone company, NAFIS does not charge any extra costs. Furthermore NAFIS will soon be available on all the networks and the call charges will become minimal.
How do I get assistance on NAFIS?
By sending feedback you will be able to get to Nalep officials through e-mail. Alternatively further information on NAFIS can be obtained from NALEP headquarters through telephone or faxing: 020-2714867.
Who are the stakeholders in Nafis development?
- The National Agriculture and Livestock Extension Programme – NALEP, of the Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Livestock development
- Teknobyte (KENYA), Lead consultant, www.teknobyte.co.ke
- Speechnet Ltd, www.speechnet.net
- Agriculture Information Resource Centre, AIRC.
- Kenya National Library Services
Facts about NAFIS:
- It is a Kenya Government Service.
- It is a voice/web service
- The voice services uses Kiswahili and Kenyan English® Voices.
- It is easy to use and requires minimal training.
- There are no extra charges beyond the normal telephone charges.