The harvesting dates were developed after an extensive survey was conducted in Machakos Murang’a, Meru, Trans Nzoia, Uasin Gishu and Elgeyo Marakwet Counties. The objective was to ensure only mature Avocadoes accessed the market to avoid deceiving the consumers. While harvesting, it is recommended that mature Avocado maturity meets the following;
1) a dull appearance of the skin for Fuerte,
2) Fruit skin becomes smoother than earlier
3) Skin color changes from green to light green
4) Have shriveling and yellowing of the fruit stalk
See also: Warnings of extended drought in Kenya
5) When cut and the seed is removed, the seed-coat is dark brown and dry and does not adhere to the flesh
6) Have to contain at least 20% dry matter content and oil content of not less than 8%.