This is a brand new column mainly discussing agricultural insurance packages currently available fro small and medium holder farmers. We look forward to your contribution as we uncover the hidden cushions and help farmers not to lose all during drought season and unexpected pests.
MULTI-PERIL CROP cover by Jubilee Insurance:
What is covered?
Physical loss or damage to growing crops directly caused by:
1. Drought 2. Uncontrollable pests and diseases 3. Hailstone damage 4. Flooding of the crop field 5. Malicious damage 6. Earthquakes 7. Riots and strikes 8. Explosions 9. Windstorms
The cover can be extended to include harvested yield being stored at the farm or any other place of temporary storage and to apply when the crop is in transit to any recognized destination within the country.
Participate in our upcoming farm exposure visit on seedlings and horticultural farming, see details here
1. Wheat, Maize, Barley, Oats, Canary Seed, Millet, Sorghum and Rice, among other monocotyledon crops.
2. Pea, Bean, Canola, Kale, Mustard, Lupin, Scafflower, Sunflower and Linseed, among other dicotyledon crops.
3. Perennial crops such as tea and coffee.
BASIS OF COVER
Sum insured for any crop is based on production costs or pre-agreed nominated value of harvested crop. REQUIREMENTS FROM FARMERS
1. 5 years actual production history 2. Cost of production per acre 3. Expected selling price per unit of the produce 4. Completed proposal form
BASIS OF CLAIM SETTLEMENT
1. Yield shortfall below guaranteed percentage as a result of any of the listed perils.
2. Claims are due for payment at the end of a crop season unless there is total loss occuring during the insured crop growth period.
HOW IT WORKS
The insurance cover pays for the yield shortfall below guaranteed level resulting from physical loss of or damage to growing crops directly caused by the listed perils.
BENEFITS Why should every farmer have this protection? • Guarantees return on producer’s investment on the insured crops should any of the above events occur. • Improves sustainability of crop production by enhancing access to credit for input. • Financiers are more willing to offer credit because with insurance, production risks are diminished. • Crop insurance helps restore loss of income. • Crop insurance reduces the need for liquid cash and emergency borrowing in case of a loss. • Crop insurance also provides peace of mind
Have you as a farmer subscribed to this? Have you had any benefits? Would you want to enroll for this? Give us your take in the form below: