Farm size: 3 acres
Source of water: Borehole
Practical lessons will be on the following key areas:
- Commercial Nursery services (capsicums, brocolli, tomatoes, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach among others on prior booking). The farm is registered by Horticultural Crops Directorate of Kenya as a Horticultural Nursery and Mother block thus providing professional services in germination and nursery care for seedlings of different variety of crops.
- Strawberry (Chandler variety) propagation, cultivation and packaging ready for the market. The strawberries are grown outdoors under drip irrigation and covered using nets during the harvesting period to prevent pests from eating the ready fruits.
- Tomato, capsicum, pepino melon, propagation, cultivation and sales. Tomatoes and capsicums are grown in green houses while pepino melons are grown outdoors.
Good farming practices at the farm:
- Mulching is practiced open field straw berries to prevent water loss through evaporation.
- Drip irrigation both in greenhouses and open field are practiced. see more details on Drip irrigation here
- Controlled environment is observed in greenhouses. Disinfectants are used at entry points to prevent crop diseases’ spread.
- Organized management and efficient plant care schedules through out the season.
- Standard, well maintained green house structures, drip irrigation system and storage points.
The farm has a company like organizational structure led by a farm manager who oversees all activities in the farm with the help of casual labourers all who have assigned and timely goals through out the season. The farm manager directly reports to the owner of the farm.